What to see and do in Koh Samui Thailand
Koh Samui is a tropical haven located in the Gulf of Thailand filled with beautiful beaches, delicious fresh seafood, and lots of family friendly fun activities.
The beaches are definitely the shining star of Koh Samui. While in Koh Samui we went to Lamai Beach, Silver Beach, Chaweng Noi Beach, and Bophut Beach.
- Lamai Beach - Our very favorite. The water was so clean and clear. The kids built sandcastles and we were able to swim out to get into the deeper water but still be close to the beach to see the kids. We loved all the restaurants that lined the beach. All served delicious fresh drinks and seafood.
- Chaweng Noi Beach - Our second favorite. We loved that this beach offered water sports like wave runners and parasailing.
- Silver Beach - Our kids loved this beach for the giant rocks they could climb. The water was very shallow very far out which is perfect for smaller children. Just watch for jellyfish, we saw quite a few.
- Bophut- We never swam at this beach but ate at one of the restaurants on the beach and watched the gorgeous sunset. This beach was filled with great restaurants and beautiful soft cushions to sit on the beach. A perfect beach to relax and watch the boats passing.
Even though you will want to spend most of your time on the beach when you are in Koh Samui, there are some fun activities for rainy days or a break from the beach.
- Central Festival Mall - A unique inside/outdoor mall filled with shops and restaurants. Kid's playgrounds and activities are sprinkled around within the mall. http://www.kosamui.com/shopping/central-festival-samui.htm
- Tesco Lotus Plaza is home to a grocery store, little shops, and a few restaurants including a KFC, but what my kids loved was the giant arcade filled with tons of arcade games, air hockey, bumper air cars, and even a huge play area for smaller kids. https://samuivillaretreat.com/blog/koh-samui-shopping-tesco-lotus/
- Lamai Night Market - The first thing we did right after getting off the plane when we landed in Koh Samui, we headed straight to Lamai Night Market. A beautiful night market filled with colorful stalls, incredible smells, and smoke rising up from the grills filled with fresh meat and seafood. It was overwhelming to the senses but captivating all at the same time. Definitely a highlight of Koh Samui http://www.kosamui.com/lamai-shopping/lamai-night-plaza.htm
- Fisherman's Village Bophut Beach - we loved walking the streets after dinner, peeking into shops and looking for treasures in the outdoor stalls. Great restaurants with gorgeous views of Bophut Beach.
Where to eat in Koh Samui
Bamboo Restaurant at Lamai Beach - This was our favorite restaurant! 3 years later and we are still dreaming about the calamari served here! After we ordered our fish our server took us to a tank to pick out which fish we would like. It went from tank, to cleaning, to the grill, to our plate. So delicious! Loved that we walked straight from the sandy pristine beach into this restaurant and were welcomed with a delicious meal. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1188000-d9871630-Reviews-Bamboo_Restaurant-Lamai_Beach_Maret_Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html
Crystal Bay Beach Club Restaurant - I absolutely love chicken satay. I think I ordered it at almost every restaurant we dined in. I love the flavors yet the simplicity of the dish. This beautiful vibrant yet cozy restaurant was steps from the beach and had so many appetizing choices. Each dish was served beautifully with vibrant colors and fresh ingredients. We also loved the Pad Thai. https://crystalbaysamui.com/crystal-bay-beach-club-restaurant/
Dr. Frog's - This was another one of our favorite restaurants in Koh Samui. The view is absolutely stunning. They offer breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great options with European flair. https://frogs.rocks/
Made In - We ate here during their 5 year celebration. French and European inspired plates. Everything we tried was delightful. https://www.facebook.com/Made-In-Koh-Samui-109735072530325/?fref=ts
Coco Tam's X Peppina - We loved the ambience and food at this restaurant. We sat at a bar top facing the ocean and watched as the sun set over the water. Our kids loved watching all the different types of boats passing. So many great food choices. Our kids loved the woodfired pizzas. The service was slow but we didn't mind since the view was so incredible to watch. https://coco-tams-x-peppina.business.site/
Lamai Night Market - The first thing we did right after getting off the plane when we landed in Koh Samui, we headed straight to Lamai Night Market with a hunger to try a little bit of everything. A beautiful night market filled with colorful stalls, incredible smells, and smoke rising up from the grills filled with fresh meat and seafood. It was overwhelming to the senses but captivating all at the same time. Definitely a highlight of Koh Samui http://www.kosamui.com/lamai-shopping/lamai-night-plaza.htm